PROGRAM AND OUTCOME EVALUATION
Owen Consulting can support your evaluation needs by:
- Building your organization's evaluation capacity
- Providing in-house evaluation at a fraction of the cost of hiring an internal evaluator
- Providing third-party, independent evaluation for your programs and initiatives
- Developing custom-survey and evaluation instruments to test and scale your unique programs and services
- Creating logic-models and/or a theory of change for your organization and programs
Our adaptable, responsive, and cutting-edge evaluation services are designed to accommodate programs of any size and scope. We have conducted evaluations for school-based educational programs serving thousands of students throughout NYC as well as for initiatives serving less than fifteen young people.
Our team specializes in single and multi-year evaluations that include mix-methods, experimental and quasi-experimental designs. Owen Consulting has evaluated dozens of single and multi-site education and youth development programs to help strengthen interventions, enhance service delivery, and improve academic, social, emotional, and health outcomes for more than 100,000 academically or socially at-risk young people and adults. Among program sponsors are the Federal Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP), New York City Department of Education, New York State Education Department, and US Office of Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention. We have worked with more than 40 nonprofit and community-based youth organizations, corporations, schools, districts, and City agencies in New York City and nationally.
Our collaborative approach to evaluation has helped build long-term partnerships with program operators and service providers, resulted in stronger site partnerships, and improved program implementation and enhanced sustainability. Further, Owen Consulting's participatory evaluations are designed to meet the needs and goals of all stakeholders in youth-serving programs including parents, students, teachers, service providers, partners and support organizations, among others. We also employ a utilization-focused approach: evaluation findings are used to identify critical needs of youth participants, create data-driven strategies for intervention, and to guide ongoing program improvement, capacity building, and implementation in accordance with effective practices. Owen Consulting is an approved vendor to provide System-wide Evaluation Services within the NYCDOE.
Broad Technical Expertise: We can provide clients with expert evaluation services that include:
- Quantitative analysis using industry-standard or custom-developed survey instruments, or analysis of academic data such as standardized test scores, grade data, credit accumulation and attendance. We can provide factor analysis and other related services to test and develop customized survey instruments for validity and reliability.
- Qualitative analysis such as focus groups, interviews, and observations. Utilization of cutting-edge qualitative analysis software enables the identification of recurrent themes or target outcomes in qualitative data/transcriptions.
- Advanced Propensity Score Matching techniques that enable construction of statistically identical treatment and control groups using NYCDOE or other Big Data sets to determine whether programs or initiatives are impacting key academic or other outcomes. The technique enables robust evaluation that minimizes the possibility of selection bias at a fraction of the time and cost required for randomized control trial (RCT) studies.
- Development of Logic Models and/or Theories of Change to help stakeholders identify and define short and long term goals, inputs, outputs, and strategies for achieving impact and success.
Diverse Service Areas: Owen Consulting has experience and expertise in evaluating a range of educational, youth development, social service, and employment programs. These include:
- Youth Development
- After School Programs / Out of School Time
- 21 Century Community Learning Center (21CCLC) After School
- Community Schools
- Early Childhood
- Extended School Day / School Violence Prevention (ESD/SVP)
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention
- Pregnancy Prevention
- Disconnected Youth
- Experiential Education / Adventure Education
- Community Service
- Learning to Work / Career Readiness / Employment
- Adult Education and/or Online Education
- Homeless Services